Pediatrics/alkaline phos. level 5000

Question
My daughter was born premature. She is 15 months now and has been growing fine and really has had no issues other then a milk allergy. Just recently her alkaline phot. level came back at a 5500. Doctor thought is was wrong retested and it came back at 5400. My doctor has never seen a level this high in her career. My daughter does not seem to be having any problems either. I understand that this affectsthe bone and liver but the doctor said her functioning was fine. Any idea what this could be? Have you ever seen a level this high? I found this websitr by searching a high level and saw that in 2005 one of your specialists on here encountered a similar question but no results were stated on the outcome. Any advice would truly be greatful.

Answer
Hi, Ashley,

Nor have I seen a level this high.  I think you need to run this by a pediatric endocrinologist, just to be sure things are OK.  I don't have a good explanation for this, but I'm sure a good peds endocrine specialist would tell you if this is OK or bears further investigation.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD