Pediatrics/Cough and Cold

Dear Doctor,
My 1 year old baby suffering from cough and cold problem, this is Forth time in this season that he faced this problem, Doctor suggested Koldar - CP (Paracetamol IP 125 mg, Pheylephrine HCL 5mg, Chlorpheniramine Maleate 1 mg)/Levoline syrup/ Engal Dry Syrup (Cefuroxime Axetic IP Equivalent To Cefuroxime 125 mg)/Monticope ( Montelukast 4mg & levocetizine Dihydrocholride Suspension 2.5 ) and also suggested for nabulize with Levoline 0.31 mg ( Till coughing problem )and Budecord 0.5 mg ( for three month at night ). Could you please suggest that why so long treatment is given for coughing and cold problem.

It is difficult to advise regarding treatment without clinical examination. It is quite common for children of this  age to suffer from repeated attacks of cough and cold. That is how the immune system develops.

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and