Pediatrics/Daughter swallowed yen.

Yes we are currently stationed in Japan and my 2 year old daughter swallowed a 10 cent yen, it's the size of a quater, my daughter has a constipation problem and has been complaining that her stomach hurts off and on, know one seems to be worried about it but me, should I be worried.

Hi, Samantha,

Virtually any coin that a child ingests will pass.  If there are episodes of increasing stomach ache getting worse and worse, then have someone look at her and perhaps do a single Xray to be sure the coin hasn't hung up someplace.  This would be very unusual, but weird things like a coin getting caught in the appendix have been reported.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.