Pediatrics/Polio

Dr. Puneet Kumar wrote at 2012-11-09 13:48:04
Hi Vishal,

The immunization schedule varies from country to country, due to various epidemiological and other factors. In general, the vaccination schedule of the country where the child resides should be followed.

If you are in India, your baby would need OPV (Oral Polio Vaccine) at 18 months of age and then at 5 years of age. In addition, your baby should receive OPV on all pulse polio rounds ("Polio Ravivar") from nearest polio booths irrespective of the fact that baby has received routine polio vaccination.

Further, for your knowledge and benefit of other Indian readers, I must tell you that we in India are in process of eliminating polio from the country and no case of Polio has been recorded from anywhere in the country since Jan 13, 2011. Hence, Like US and other countries, OPV is being phased out. As per the latest recommendations of IAP (Indian Academy of Pediatrics), updated in July 2012, now it is recommended that babies get IPV (Inactivated Polio Vaccine: Injectable: IPV) at 6, 10, 14 weeks and then at 16-18 months and OPV is given at birth, 6 and 9 months and then at 5 years of age (plus pulse polio). The recommendations are likely to change further from 2014 onwards if we record "zero polio" till January 2014.  

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD