Pediatrics/Regarding the prevnar vaccine.

Dr. Puneet Kumar wrote at 2012-12-24 14:34:09
Vaccination schedules vary from country to country (depending on epidemiological, logistic and other factors) and in general, the schedule of the country where the child resides should be followed.

As per current Indian recommendations, Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (Prevenar 13; PCV 13) is to be given at 6, 10 and 14 weeks. One can see current Indian (2012) schedule of vaccines at: http://iapcoi.com/hp/IAP%20announces%20new%20Immunization%20Schedule%20for%20201

In this case, since the vaccine was missed at 6 weeks, it can definitely be started at 10 weeks and 3 doses at one month interval followed by a booster at 15 months of age need to be given.

Best wishes,

Dr. Puneet Kumar,

Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,

New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD