Hi sir, i have a daughter 32 months weight 14kg and she has a high fever every month,nearly 1year/half now.. I have been in 2 best hospital in Greece in Athens and doctors says is nothing,i have made a lot of different blood exam,everything fine,just a little problem with emotokritis <anemia> they says is normal. i don't know what to do..she has a very bad sore through,but doctor said is nothing to do with through,they says maybe she has a Mediterranean fever is that a serious problem? She has a very high fever 39-40C,after when we give the medicine,she goes back to normal,she eat,she drink,she play,she look like never been ill.Please can you give me any advice,what can i do with my daughter....

Hi Arjola,

Familial Mediterranean Fever is rare genetic disorder with periodic episodes of fever as in your daughter. However, usually these episodes in this case are accompanied by either severe pain abdomen/ chest pain/ joint pain/ skin rashes. Genetic test is available for confirmation of the diagnosis, but is used more for research purpose than clinically, as there is no specific treatment for it and practically treatment remains same (control of fever and other symptoms by general measures).

However, whether your daughter is having this Mediterranean Fever or any other similar rare periodic fever syndrome, the fact that she is otherwise active and has good growth and development and that the episodes resolve spontaneously suggest that for all practical purposes, she would not require extensive investigation and general measures to control fever during the episodes should suffice. Please remain in touch with her pediatrician.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.