Pediatrics/Fever in child

Question
Respected Sir,

My 16 years old son got fever on 23 October 2012. He had cough and running nose and fever at that time and was prescribed antibiotic Gramocef and nucocia-P for 3 days. The fever did not recede after 3 days and blood tests were got done for malaria, dengue, typhoid (Widal test) and LFT. The other tests were negative and Widal test was positive i.e. Salmonella Typhi O antigen 1:80, Salmonella Typhi H Antigen 1:320,Salmonella Paratyphi A, H and B, H antigen 1:20.
On the basis of this test saying that it was mildly positive, the doctor prescribed medicines like Pulmocef 500, Azi 500. The child then started taking these medicines but could not do so as he started having vomiting and loose motions.
Since medicines could not be taken by the child and he still had fever upto 103 F, The child was admitted to a hospital for intravenous injections of levoflox and Kericef. Dolo 650 was also being given 3 times a day to reduce fever.
The child was released on 3 November and came home. Today is 5 November the intravenous injection will continue up to today. But the fever still continues around 99 - 100 F.
How many days will the fever last? Is the diagnosis correct? When will the fever of my child reduce? What should i do?

Answer
Hi Sangeeta,

If the basis of diagnosis was just Widal test, I have strong reservations here. Widal has NO VALUE before 7 days of fever. I never order this test before 7 days of fever. If is often falsely positive even in fevers other than typhoid in this setting.

However, I must tell you that doctors usually do not base their diagnosis just on tests, but on clinical assessment also. Since the child is improving, I would tend to continue the same treatment. Please follow up with your doctor for further advice.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India,

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar