Pediatrics/hi sir

Question
QUESTION: hi recently for the second dose of pentaxim vaccine i thought it will not be avaialble at my place and i got from vizag my place is 40km it has come with a gel ice pack but cooling is k and it is been administered also .this is fine na? what happens if we miss a dose

ANSWER: Hi Ramesh,

It should be fine if transported with frozen gel pack.

If a dose is missed, it should be taken as soon as possible.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India.

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: hi how long we can keep any vaccine and this vaccine without a ice pack

ANSWER: Hi Ramesh,

"Cold chain" is to be maintained through out (from manufacturing to the time of vaccination) to maintain optimum potency. Thus, the vaccine has to be transported with gel pack only and then stored in refrigerator (at 4-8 deg Celsius). It should not be kept at room temperature at any point of time.

There is no simple way to determine whether the vaccine has the desired potency. Only for OPV (Polio drops), which is the most temperature sensitive vaccine, there is "vaccine Vial monitor" (VVM) placed on each bottle  that can easily show if the vaccine has been exposed to high temperature at any point of time.

In my opinion, if it is so difficult to procure Pentaxim at your place, it would be better that you go for whole cell DPT/ Hib and IPV vaccine that is available at your place from next dose.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India.

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: thank you for your answer i just want to know the details my last question can IPV and OPv BE ADMINISTERED SIMULTANEOUSLY
Regards
Ramesh

Answer
Hi Ramesh,

Yes, OPV and IPV can be safely given simultaneously. However as per the latest recommendations of Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) (updated July 2012), it is better (and now a standard recommendation) that IPV should be given at 6, 10, 14 weeks followed by OPV at 6 and 9 months. IPV booster is given at 18 months and OPV at 5 years of age. OPV must also be given, in addition, at all rounds of Pulse Polio.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India.

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar