Pediatrics/Nosebleeds and headaches and tummy pain

Question
My seven yr old son complains of a headache and tummy pain daily and he has nosebleeds 3 or 4 times a week his doctor says this is all normal and said he was constipated! Is this normal? Could this be signs of cancer?

Answer
Hi, Corenda,

Constipation would explain stomach pain but not nosebleeds or a headache.  Headaches and stomach aches are very normal in a pediatric office, but need to be evaluated in some way to assure they are not due to something more serious and unusual.  The nosebleeds need to be treated and evaluated to be sure there is no sign of an overall bleeding disorder.

All these symptoms are common in kids.  They are probably not cancer, but almost any symptom you can name can be sign of this disease.  Be sure your doctor is evaluating this appropriately.

Good luck, dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD