Pediatrics/Polio

Question
Sir,my son was born on 29th may 2012 and was given oral polio drops at birth, 6 weeks, 10 weeks and 14 weeks alongwith the IPV at 6,10,14 weeks. he is in his 6th month now and his next vaccination is at 9months (measeles). I just want to know when should we give him the next Oral polio drops and what shud be the frequency of adminstering the drops? Kindly advise us the scheduling of oral polio drops
thanks

Answer
Hi, Vishal,

We don't give oral polio in the USA due to the remote chance of developing polio from the vaccination.  I thus have no idea regarding the timing of this vaccination that hasn't been used in the USA for 10 or more years.  Your doctor should be very knowledgeable regarding this issue.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD