Pediatrics/Regarding the prevnar vaccine.

Question
Hello Doctor,

I am residing in India. My baby boy is 2 months old and I missed the prevnar vaccine in the 6th week schedule. So can I start this vaccine when I take him to the doctor in 10th week vaccination trip?
I need to vaccinate him in 3 doses so starting from 10th week I need to give the baby with 1 month gap in between?

Thank you.

Answer
Hi, chiru,

In the USA the PCV7 or PCV13 vaccine is generally given at 2,4 and 6 months.  There is flexibility in this and all other vaccination schedules.  Doses can be given no less than 4 weeks apart.  The one month gap is fine.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD