Pediatrics/Size of head

QUESTION: What is the typical head size of an adult male? I am 32 and have always thought my head was too large and that the amount of energy I use just to hold my head up is extensive.

ANSWER: Hi, James,

There is a lot of data online about this.  You will find there is a direct correlation with stature and head circumference.  I really don't know what you mean by "too large".  My head circumference happens to be above the 95 percentile and I don't have any problem carrying it around.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

QUESTION: I mean my neck muscles are strained and it feels like keeping my balance with my head is a very high priority.

Hi, James,

I can't imagine your head is so big that your neck muscles feel strained.  If this is indeed the case, than I would discuss things with a physical therapist/or exercise specialist to see if some neck strengthening exercises would help.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.