Pediatrics/Stomach Ache/pain

Our son has pain around his belly button for a few hours, and now he threw up twice.  He doesn't have fever now and is sleeping.  He seems a little bit better/calmer after throwing up.  What should we do?  He is 7 years old.

Hi, Josh,

99% of this type of presentation is a viral illness and kids get better.  Appendicitis can present like this and if the pain is getting worse consistently and is changing position to the right lower part of the abdomen, then see your doctor.  Otherwise fluids and TLC.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.