Pediatrics/stuffy nose

my son's nose gets stuffy every night he goes to sleep, this has happened since he was 4, he is always complaining of foggy mind and he feels like he's not himself. he sleep with his mouth open all night. his doctor says there is nothing for stuffy nose. i am very concerned because he hasnt grown much in stature, his body is to thin. he is very active but his mind is always unclear. saline water does not help.  what do you recommend?  thanks.

Hi, doris,

Generally a night time stuffy nose is due to allergies.  I disagree, there are lots of things that can potentially help with a night time stuffy nose.  Please be sure he is being seen by someone who takes your concerns seriously.  If he is having sleep disrupted breathing due to allergic runny nose, he may be having such messed up sleep that this is affecting his daytime behaviour.

Good luck, dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.