Pediatrics/20 month old gags and sometime vomits on textured food

Question
QUESTION: My 20 month old girl is
-Very active
-Very healthy
-NO medical conditions
-NO food allergies

The only concern I got is that she vomits (everything she had) ONLY during textured food feeding.
She can go without vomiting for a week or two, before it begins again.
I have tested the same pureed food and she does good without any vomiting for several weeks.
She has NO molars yet, just got her canine tooth last week (total of 8 teeth).
She vomits when she is NOT chewing and she gulps her food.
Our pediatrician said she will 'grow out of it' eventually.

Once she vomits , I'm able to continue with her feeding without a second vomit.

Is it Normal for a 20 month OLD to have problems with textured food?

PS:
Is this what everyone calls 'sensitive gag reflex'?

ANSWER: Hi zenturyz,

Yes, this is "sensitive gag reflex" and kids outgrow it eventually. Textured foods should NOT be avoided for fear of vomiting.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: Thanks for the quick response.

Just one last question.
Is there any specific duration that this might last?

Being the parents of our first child, we get concerned by looking at other kids of same age having textured food without any problem.
We still continue to give her textured foods such as rice/pasta etc.

Answer
Hi zenturyz,

Many (in fact, most) children have relatively sensitive gag reflex (as compared to adults) and thus vomit rather easily. You would notice that frequency of vomiting will continue to decrease every year and will become rare after 4-5 years of age.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar