Pediatrics/5 yr old son

My son had open heart surgery when he was 11 months old to repair a VSD and ASD. Now I was told at that time that they left a small leak hoping it will close due to avoiding a pacemaker. Now this morning my son that is now 5 says to me mom my heart is beating really fast then he says he felt a ringing noise in his ear. Is that related and should I be concern and make an appt with his cardiologist.
Thank you

Hi, Lorena,

This is potentially serious and may be the sign of a supraventricular tachycardia, a heart rate disturbance that is significant.  Call your pediatrician and arrange for a visit.  If this is happening often, they might want to do a Holter monitor or some other kind of event recorder to find out what is going on.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.