Pediatrics/BM Issues

Question
Hello. My 16 month old daughter has been having BM issues for about 3-4 months now. Here recently her stool has been yellow and quite watery and very very foul smelling. There are times when you can visibly see what she has to eat the night before in her stool. Also, it is almost like her stool is burning her skin the second it touches her. I change her diaper literally the second she finishes with a BM, it smells awful and generally she starts whining during the BM because it burns her. Every doctor so far has said yeast infection and tells me to change her diaper more often. I go through probably at least 20 diapers a day, so I change her diaper excessively and also when I have been able to get this "rash" cleared up, it does not return until she has another BM. She has kept this one for 2 weeks now, because of diarrhea (at least 4-5 times a day). Any help you can offer to this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answer
Hi, Samantha,

The thing that should be addressed is why she is having prolonged diarrhea.  The rash is a secondary issue.  Please see your pediatrician and make sure this is not a bacterial or parasite infection of the bowels and explore the notion of a malabsorption syndrome.  It is not normal to have diarrhea for this long.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD