Pediatrics/Any cheap and effective alternate to prevenar 13

Question
Good Afternoon Doctor,

I am having a 2 month old baby boy. My paediatrician has suggested me to go for pneumococcal conjugate vaccine prevenar 13 which is going to cost me 4200 per dose and total 4 doses to be given. Can you recommend any cheap and similar effective alternate to this vaccine as it is costing me around 17000 bucks.

Answer
Hi Puneet,

The only other brand available in India (and even globally) is Synflorix (by GSK). Its MRP is INR 1999. The doctor would, in addition charge consultation fee and injection fee as applicable.

However, please note that Synflorix is not same as Prevenar 13. While Prevenar 13 covers 13 types of Pneumococcal bacteria, Synflorix covers only 10. In practical terms, Synflorix is at least 3-6% less effective than Prevenar 13 in preventing Pneumococcal infection (But, as you have noted, cost is almost half).

Please take an informed decision now.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India.

+91-9818356846

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar