Pediatrics/Child taking heavy breath

Question
Hello Doctor,

My daughter is 4.5 years old. For the past 10 days, we noticed that she seems to take deep breathes frequently. This seems to be more when she is watching TV or when she is relaxing. Seems less when she is playing. Also we see her breathing is quite normal when she is sleeping. We took her to multiple paediatric specialists ( 3 of them) and they all say that her lungs are clear, throat normal, no wheezing and heart sounds normal during ausculation. They say it could be more psychological (maybe she is worried about something). One of them mentioned it could be a tic and will resolve over time and to ignore it. Is this common to kids of this age and what can we further do at our end to find a solution to her breathing issue. Please respond with your suggestions. Thank you very much in advance.

Her oxygen levels last time in the doctors office

when she awake
97% spo2 and 118 pulse

when she is sleeping
98 -99% spo2 and 90 pulse

Regards
Rajesh

Answer
Hi, Rajesh,

This is almost certainly a tic and I have seen several kids over the years do this when they are especially concentrating.  This is quite common, in my experience.  I can't think what else it would logically be.

Ignore it and it will go away quicker.  See more doctors and this will persist longer.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD