Pediatrics/eye health and school

Should a two year come to daycare with dialated eyes?

Hi, Director,

Depends on the child, the level of light and what, if any meds the child is on, pupils could normally be dilated.  I wouldn't be quick to jump to some nefarious conclusion, such as second hand pot smoke. He should smell like a joint if that is the case.  If you are concerned, talk to the parents.  He may just as a normal variant, have eyes that are a bit dilated.

Good luck, D.r Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.