Pediatrics/gassy stool

Question
My daughter is 7 weeks old. She cries a lot. She is passing greenish yellow gassy stool smelly stool. She refuses to have milk.Her only diet is breast milk. We consulted a pediatrician and after the stool examination, presence of RBC, pus cells and bacteria were found. The doctor told me to wait for sometime. Her anal area is cracked and the doctor gave fusiderm cream. Is she is having any infection? This problem will be solved without any medication?

Answer
Hi Dinsha,

It is NORMAL for a 7 week baby to have greenish yellow, gassy stools. Baby stools have a distinctive smell too. This is because breast feed is 100% digested and is converted totally into liquid and gasses (no undigested "solid waste"). This is likely to remain like this for at least a few weeks more. So, no need of any medication!!

"She refuses to have milk.Her only diet is breast milk": Excellent! Your daughter is really smart!! At this age, her diet MUST BE breastfeed ONLY! Till 6 months of age, she should not be given anything (even water!) other than breastfeed.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar