Pediatrics/Hives/elevated ESR

My 3 yo has had hives for one year off and on.  His allergist ran some blood work. Thyroid and metabolic panel were normal; however, his ESR is 34.  I am worried and his office is closed.

Hi, Allyson,

That is a mildly high ESR and one that usually we would not find very significant.  If you are seeing an allergist, if he is otherwise healthy, the blood work is normal, then I would just watch things.  It is hard to think of anything terrible that could be happening.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.