Pediatrics/Lead

Question
My daughter had her 1yr check up and her lead test came back with a level of 18, we did a retest with a different hospital and it came back 16.5.  

On November 7th when I first found out about the situation we moved out of the house (it is an older home, 1950).  The Health Dept. also came out and didn't see any problems...

She was retested a month later and her level was 12.4.  I have been giving her vitamins with iron, she drinks her milk, eats yogurt everyday...  I don't know what else to do.  I am just sick because I hate that this has happened and I feel like I have done everything I know to do.  Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!  Thank you!

Answer
Hi, Carrie,

You are doing all you can do.  If the level was going up, then the doctors might do a chelation procedure in the hospital to bring the level down to a safe range.  Do what you are doing and be sure to follow up as your doctors state.  Once out of the lead environment, things should be fine.

Good luck, D.r Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD