Pediatrics/Lingual proplem in 2 year4 month old baby

Question
Sir,

My son is 2 years 4 months old and not able to make sentences.
Though he use to talk some words and can repeat words only if we try with him. Actually we have 2 languages at our home, hindi and marathi. I am hindi speaking and his grandma is marathi speaking, i consulted his pediatrician and he suggested to use hindi only with him for few days as he finds that the baby is getting confused between 2 languages.
Sir, please suggest what should be our approach to develop this talking habit in my baby as after 1-2 months I will start sending him to school and wish he start making sentences before going to school. Otherwise he could develop some problem in his personality if he will see other kids speaking fulently.

Please help.

Thanks
Mansha

Answer
Hi Mansha,

At 2 years and 4 months, he should AT LEAST be able to 2-word or 3-word sentences. If that is so, one can keep a watch, while talking to him more: slowly and clearly. IN such a case you can defer detailed evaluation. However, if he is still speaking only single words, he needs immediate thorough evaluation, including hearing test (BERA), if not done earlier and  developmental assessment.

2 or even 3 languages don't matter much, as has been shown in research.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar