Pediatrics/Linguistic problem with 2 years 4 month old baby

Question
Sir,

Following was my question but i did not get the response as earlier my email id was wrong.
My correct email id is

My son is 2 years and 4 months old but till now he only speaks words and not form any sentences.
I consulted a pediatrician and he suggested that the problem is 2 language usage at home due to which the child is getting confused.
I am hindi speaking and my mom-in-law is marathis speaking.
Though he understands most of our instructions but dont try to make sentences.
I am worried as after 1-2 months I will start sending him to school and he may develop any personality related problem if he find others are speaking and he is not.
Kindly suggest the best approach to deal with this problem.

Thanks.

Mansha

Answer
Hi Mansha,

At 2 years and 4 months, he should AT LEAST be able to 2-word or 3-word sentences. If that is so, one can keep a watch, while talking to him more: slowly and clearly. IN such a case you can defer detailed evaluation. However, if he is still speaking only single words, he needs immediate thorough evaluation, including hearing test (BERA), if not done earlier and  developmental assessment.

2 or even 3 languages don't matter much, as has been shown in research.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar