Pediatrics/Picky eater baby but has craving for mud, wall paint or any not edible things.

My son is 2 years 3 month old. His weight is around 11 kg and height is 91 cms.
He is very picky eater and i need to put a lot of efforts in feeding him. He loves milk and use to have it 3 time daily and approximately 600 ml per day.
My main problem is, he just try to insert everything in his mouth e.g paper, mud, wall paint, plastic, i mean whatever he found nearby. I try to stop him with love and anger both, but all in vein.
How can i help him in rectifying this habit? Please suggest.

ANSWER: Hi Priti,

Eating of inedible substances (called pica) may not just be a "habit". It can be a sign of iron and/ or calcium deficiency. Please get your child thoroughly evaluated by his pediatrician so that appropriate treatment can be instituted.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

QUESTION: Thank you Sir for your response.
For calcium, I just started Calcaria Phophoric 6X homeopathic medicine and for iron deficiency, his pediatrician recommended iron and b-complex syrup yesterday only.
Hope this will help me.

Hi Priti,

I would like to inform you that Calcaria Phophoric 6X is NOT calcium. It is a homeopathic medicine and just sounds similar to Calcium. Calcium dose is in milligrams (80 mg/ kg/ day), and Calcaria Phos, just like all other homeopathic medicines is highly diluted (in nanograms or even less!!). Please consult your pediatrician to know if your son requires calcium supplement or not.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.