Pediatrics/Random screaming and thrashing

Tonight while getting my one year old ready for bed we gave him a bath and then a bottle while I changed him into his pajamas. As I went to pick him up he started screaming at the top of his lungs. Immediately I checked him over to see if I had pinched him or something hurt him but nothing seemed to have happened. He continued to scream so I handed him to my husband who usual calms him right down but he continued to scream. We wondered if something was in his pajamas so we took them off and saw no marks or rashes so decided to try to calm him with a bath. While watching the water he calmed a little bit but once I put him in the tub he started screaming at the top of his lungs again. We decided to take him to the emergency room so I went to go pack his bag while my husband continued to try and calm him. Our son was thrashing so bad we laid him on the ground and he started rolling all over the living room floor thrashing. Finally as we were Gona leave my husband grabbed the bottle and held it in our sons mouth and he finally started to calm down and fell asleep. This is nothing like our son even when he falls and hits his head he will wimp and then get up and continue playing. Also I do not think he had a seizure because I have seen them before and before the screaming he was normal just drinking his bottle. Please help us with any idea what could have happened tonight, thank you for your time,

Hi, Danielle,

Hard to know why on occasion a normal healthy kid freaks out like this.  If you look him over carefully and nothing is obviously wrong and he is fine and this is a one time thing, then I wouldn't worry about it.  If this happens again, take him to an ER.  I have seen kids with a  bowel issue like intusseception act like this and then be completely well after.  

Good luck and hope this doesn't happen again, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.