Pediatrics/11 Month Old Has Never Slept Through the Night

Question
I have an 11 month old girl who has never slept more then 5 hours. She sometimes wakes up 4-5 times a night. I also have a 2 year old, the 11 month old is in our bedroom, she will share a room with her sister. Whenever she would wake up we would run to her so she didnt wake up her sister (apartment is very small), we would give her bottle and she would go back to sleep. It has become such a habit but its very hard to let her cry it out because she will wake up the whole house. We are at a wits end and just want some advice on how to handle this. I know I should stop the bottles and give her water or something but nothing we do to soothe her works besides a bottle and even with that she is still up every 2-3 hours. Please help! Thank you!

Answer
hi
she is in transition phase of development of sleep patterns and dreams.
classical issues at this age are night terrors.
A short phase of sleeping with the child at night will make the infant socially more comfortable.
Hunger or thirst may not be the only cause for waking up at night. A feeling of social insecurity is also a likely issue at this age.
Also try to teach the elder sib how to cuddle the little one.. take care and try to understand how to be responsible, without shouting or screaming. (i understand its difficult but it is also important)

Pediatrics

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician