Pediatrics/11 Month Old Wont Sleep

I have an 11 month old girl, who has never slept more then 5 hours. She sometimes wakes up 4-5 times a night. I also have a 2 year old, the 11 month old is in our bedroom, she will share a room with her sister. Whenever she would wake up we would run to her so she didnt wake up her sister (apartment is very small), we would give her bottle and she would go back to sleep. It has become such a habit but its very hard to let her cry it out because she will wake up the whole house. We are at a wits end and just want some advice on how to handle this. I know I should stop the bottles and give her water or something but nothing we do to soothe her works besides a bottle and even with that she is still up every 2-3 hours. Please help! Thank you!

Hi, Kelly,

Clearly this is trained behavior.  I would make sure, all the time, that her last waking memory is of her crib, and not your arms.  She should be drowsy and then fall asleep in her crib, not drowsy, fall asleep in your arms and the put in the crib.  She will be much better doing this one thing.  You also will have to not feed her at night.  She doesn't need this.  A bottle of water is just as habit forming.  Will she cry?  Yes.  Will it work?  Yes.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.