Pediatrics/3 year olds health

My 3 year old daughter has been sick now for 2.5 weeks. She started with a runny nose and 103 fever, she was prescribed amoxicillin which she took for 10 days. The fever hasn't returned but she now has vomiting and diarrhea along with a terrible barking cough. We took her back to the pediatrician and were told her lungs ears and throat all look good and that she was now probably battling a virus. My daughter has always (last couple years) told us her stomach hurts but she never seems to be in any noticeable pain. The pediatrician has always said its nothing to worry about. My concern is my daughters weight (38 inches and 27 pds) and inability to kick what ever she has. I know they say its nothing but a virus but I can't help wondering if its something more and wondering if the pediatricians should being investigating the stomach issue a little more.

Hi, Todd,

This is probably 2 separate illnesses.  What was the amoxicillin given to treat?  The initial illness sounds viral and the second one does as well.  A runny nose and high fever w an otherwise normal exam shouldn't be treated with antibiotics.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.