Pediatrics/6 year old deliberately peeing on floor in bathroom

My son is a control freak.  It doesn't manifest enough to disrupt our household daily but when it does, it's so awful. He will punish you so harshly for trying to get him to do even a simple thing he doesn't want to do. I can let it slide on some occasions but if it's something important, I cannot. The problem is things like homework or peeing, he can control this.  He recently refused to pee at a friend's house. Ultimately he peed in her bath and laughed. She is a nice person and she was happy he started peeing again. The problem is she opened a door. That week he started to pee on the floor next to the toilet, not entirely, but he'd squirt and smirk. I'd make him clean it, which he did, and he didn't care. He actually likes cleaning it. I tried withholding things he likes, no effect. His response is NOT to pee. My mother said let him not pee but the problem is when his bladder is full, he can't concentrate on work or do much of anything. Also I don't like him getting used to this. He did alot of wittholding in the past to control us and it was very stressful.  If you had a child withholding because you told them they simply cannot pee on the floor, would you let them witthold and wait it out or do you have another idea? Thanks.

Hi Sharon,

Like most behavioral/ discipline issues in this age group, this should be handled in polite-but-firm manner without getting into unnecessary arguments/ deals (If you do this, then I...)/ reasonings (logic) with the child. Just explain him one last time that he is a "good boy" and "big boy" and what is expected of him. And do tell him that you won't tell him again anything about it and he needs to show that he is "good/ big boy" without any reminders. After this talk, just pretend that you are not bothered about his holding urine. The only punishment to be given is "time out": that too very occasionally. I am pretty sure this misbehaviour won't last long.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.