Pediatrics/Allergy

Question
Hi Doctor,

I live in Bangalore.My son has completed 4 months now and has been on breastmilk exclusively.During the first 2 months his stools had lots of blood and mucus for 2 weeks and was green in colour.My doctor gave an antibiotic-Septran -saying it could be an infection because of the baby putting his hand in the mouth. But the medicine didn't help.And after searching the net I tried the elimination diet wherein I could see that the stools were normal after I stopped consuming Milk,Chappatis,Eggs,Pizzas etc.Stools are still dark green.But no blood.Is it fine. Cold it be because of food allergy? I have to join work by the end of 5th month.His weight gain is very good-exclusively breastfed-. Please suggest some food items that I can start him on and also I don't have enough milk to express and keep for the whole day.Please help me with a diet plan.Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hi Mili,

The stools you have described are NORMAL for a baby of 4 months. No need of any medicine, elimination diet, etc.

Till 6 months, baby should be on milk only. If breastmilk is not possible, next best option is formula milk, while continuing breastfeeding when you are at home and EBM (Expressed Breast Milk) as much as possible.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar