Pediatrics/calcium tonics for the baby of four month old

Question
Hello doctor, My baby girl's 4th month is running. At birth time her  weight was 2.5 kg,and its 5.2 kg by now. She is appearing normal and  active in all her developinnspreadg activities till now. She sucks herfingers a lot,May be to sooth her developing gums,to which my father in law who is a general physician insists me to give her Calcium tonic ( calbisix / omilcal ). Her pediatric doctor said she doesn't need extra calcium yet,when i asked him. Am totally confused,to give her extra calcium or not! Please help.

Answer
Hi, maya,
Listen to your pediatrician.  They get plenty of calcium in either formula or breast milk. Extra calcium for a 4 month old is not at all standard care and is something I have never done in the USA. I can't think of a reason a healthy 4 month old needs extra calcium.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD