Pediatrics/Child Headaches/Vision

Question
My daughter is six and had been complaining a couple times a week for about a month that it felt like something was poking her in the eye. I took her to the pediatrician on Wednesday and they said it was dry eye and to give her OTC drops. On Thursday she woke up to use the bathroom around seven a.m. and told me that she was dizzy, it was so bad she was on her knees with her forehead on the floor. She said it lasted until about eight a.m. But not as badly. She also said it happened once at school that same day very briefly. She's also had eyeglasses for farsightedness since October 2011 but never really wanted to wear them. Wednesday she was asking for them saying she couldn't do her homework without them. This morning she told me that she had a headache that was so bad it woke her up but that it didn't last long. I'm not sure what to do. I have anxiety disorder and am trying not to panic but all I can think is glioma or other tumor.

Answer
Hi, Nikki,

Please have her see her doctor, with the notion that a good history, exam and possibly some brain imaging studies will be done.  Tumor would be way down on a list of possibilities, but never the less serious things can sometimes happen and it is up to your doctor to reassure you, either by explanation or testing, that nothing bad is going on.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD