Pediatrics/tongue thrust and frequency of upper respitory infections

Sandra R. Coulson and Associates wrote at 2013-01-09 20:59:06
Dear Trish, your son's airway issue is a real concern because if he has his mouth open much of the time, he is, indeed breathing in things that can case him to be ill, but his open mouth posture is also potentially causing some severe dental development issues, and perhaps tooth decay, as well. It would be wise to see a good Otolaryngologist (ENT) and the a Certified Orofacial Myofunctional therapist who will deal with his tongue thrust and his open mouth posture. Certified therapists are some of the few people who are trained to deal with these issues in conjunction with a good team of the ENT,  dentist, and pediatrician or GP.

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.