Pediatrics/about health problem

My son is 3yrs and 8months old.Right from when he is 4months old is often gets cold, cough and sometimes fever.It is cured by giving antibiotics and cough syrup. About a month back he got cold and then cough but this time it is not cured with the cough syrup.During day time the cough is adjustable but during early morning hours he wakes up coughing.His pediatrictian refered for ChestX-ray and blood test then told that he is suffering from allergy and prescribed asthalin syrup 4ml 3times,azithral-200 once and whysolone-10 twice,for 7days but it didnt change much.Now he prescribed for montelukast 4mg once, and budecort-100 2-0-2(with that spacer).But he is still coughing.sometimes I find it little less but sometimes more.His nose is also flowing with sputum after taking this recent medicines.Pl help whether this medication is proper.I want his cough should be controlled.

You have not mentioned whether he has been investigated for tuberculosis. If not he should  undergo that test also. Allergic cough can sometimes persist for some time. Do not give him too much of dairy products like  cheese, butter, ghee, curds and milk. Make sure he  gets vegetables and  fruits daily. Give honey occasionally. Encourage him to exercise daily. If he likes let him learn classical music.

Please support me in getting the WHO definition of health reviewed to include the spiritual dimension and share it with your contacts. This is the link

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and