Pediatrics/medication question

Question

My 8 year old daughter has been on Zoloft for 2 years for extreme anxiety (also OCD type symptoms, mainly emetophobia.) She did great last year but a child getting sick at school triggered it badly and she can't seem to get it under control.  We are seeing a new therapist this week.  Her psychiatrist increast the Zoloft from 40mg to 60mg.  After a few weeks, she still seems to be very anxious.  The doc mentioned increasing again, but I am worried she is already at a very high dose for her age. Do you think this is a high dose?  Also, any ideas on how children like mine can be helped would be appreciated. Hoping this new therapist has more ideas than the last one.  Thanks.

Answer
Hi, Melanie,

It is unclear what a "high" dose is for a child this age, for it is an uncommon medicine in this age group.  We all use it, but the proper dose is the one that works.  Under 100 would be pretty typical.  If this doesn't work, and remember it takes sometimes up to 4-6 weeks to see full effect of a dose change, then consideration might be made to a different med, such as fluoxetine.  Hopefully you are having weekly therapy sessions with a counselor.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD