Pediatrics/pediatric problem

Question
QUESTION: "hi sir i am ramesh my daughter is now 6 months old now and she has got all the vaccines for polio(3 doses pentaxim) my doubt is she was vaccinated with pentaxim as well with OPV for the first dose and for the remaining two doses i got it done from diffrent doc he said no need of OPV with IPV so he didnt give now on sunday there is a pulse polio programme in my place can i give that to my baby?"

ANSWER: Hi Santosh,

Pulse polio drops are over and above routine vaccination and MUST be given during every round even if baby has received all routing vaccinations. Pulse polio drops must be taken from polio booth rather than private doctors as in many rounds of pulse polio, they use "special" (Monovalent/ bivalent) polio drops that are not available privately.

As far as routine vaccination is concerned, the recommendations have been updated in July 2012. Earlier (before July 2012), OPV used to be given along with IPV. Now it has been recommended that IPV only should be given at 6, 10 and 14 weeks followed by OPV at 6 and 9 months of age and then IPV booster at 16-18 months of age and OPV booster at 5 years of age. In addition, Pulse polio drops must be administered at all rounds, irrespective of previous/ concurrent routine vaccination. (Hence, both of your pediatricians were right!)

Hence, in addition to pulse polio, your daughter must be given "routine" OPV at 6 and 9 months of age, followed by boosters as recommended.

You can see the latest immunization schedule, as recommended by Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) at: http://iapcoi.com/hp/pdf/IAP%20Immunization%20Timetable%202012.pdf

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: k sir tahnk you, then i will go for both pulse polio (1st dose) on this sunday and by the end of her 6th month i will go for OPV too(my baby has jus eneterd into 6 month on  jan 9th 2013) i hope that will be fine. is there any particular no. of doses for pulse polio?

ANSWER: Hi Santosh,

No, number of pulse polio is not defined. The child should get the drops at all pulse polio rounds till 5 years of age.

Since we would most likely be declared "polio free country" by January next year, it is likely that these pulse polio rounds will be discontinued after January 2014. Let's hope!!

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: so, definitely,i can go for both the pulse polio and regular OPV( to be given during 6th month) is there any time gap to be maintained between these two sir

Answer
Hi Santosh,

No, there is no time gap recommended between the two. Go for the routine polio drops along with 3rd dose of Hepatitis B vaccine that is given at 6 months of age (5 months after the 2nd dose) and pulse polio tomorrow (20/1/2013) and subsequently as and when declared.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar