Pediatrics/pediatric problem

I am ramesh my daughter sweats a lot and she jus eneterd into 6th month when i asked my doc he said for some skin will be sweaty,for some dry so nothinh to worry.but one of m y friend daughter also have the same problem and when he reported that to his doc they it is because of calcium deficiency and he preiscribed calcium suppl. now he says that sweting has reduced. is it true what could be reason for this sweating plz sugeest me because i feel due to this oversweating she is not gaining weight. her birth weight is 3.25 kgs now i.e. one week back it is 6.15 kgs. any relation between all these? recently  i have observed redness at the entrance of her anal region when we are wiping after her poo

ANSWER: Hi Ramesh,

Amount of sweating varies from individual to individual. First make sure that your baby is not "Over-clothed", as it is the most common cause of oversweating in our country. Second, "oversweating" is known to run in families. It is mostly of no significance.

Sweating on forehead that occurs only during feeding can be a sign of calcium deficiency. However, the supplementation must be started only after confirming the deficiency by blood tests/ X-Ray of wrist as suggested by your doctor. Unnecessary calcium supplementation can cause complications, including stone formation in kidneys. On the other hand, real deficiency of calcium would require Vitamin D also for best results.

Not gaining weight has no relation with sweating but is a serious issue. Your baby needs thorough evaluation to find out the cause and appropriate treatment. Please discuss with your doctor.

Rash also needs to be seen by your doctor and appropriately managed. Avoid using diapers: the most commmon cause of these rashes.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

QUESTION: now her weight is 6.2kgs by 9th of this month she will enter into 6 month her birth weight is 3.25kgs is it normal sir

Hi Ramesh,

As I informed earlier also, her weight gain is not normal and needs thorough evaluation to find out the cause and appropriate treatment. Normally, babies double their birth weight by 3 months of age.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.