my child 11months old, weight 10kg had coryza next day he developed severe wheez and mild fever then i     consulted pediatrition he prescribed salbutamol (2.5ml in 2ml normal saline) nebulisation 6hourly,  omnicortil (prednisolone) oral drops 1.5 ml 8hourly for 4days inj.ceftriaxone 500mg i/m daily for 4days and paracetamol 100mg 12hourly for 2days. He is now afebrile but he is developing severe wheez during night and early morning, but mild wheez during day espcially when he tries to exert e,g walk few steps he also develops cough during laughing i m afraid of oral steriods, is there any alternative treatment how long can i continue this treatment what is the prohylaxis to this condition as it repeated twice a month in this cold month of january in kashmir.   please advise and guide me

Usually children do not suffer from chronic asthma. You have not mentioned about investigations He may need some blood tests and X-ray depending on other findings. Many children do respond to inhaled broncho-dilators and steroids. Oral steroids are used for prolonged period only in extreme cases. Minimize dairy products and  exposure to  allergens as far as possible. He may need ENT check up.

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and