hello sir,
my baby passed slight whitish to greenish stools twice i.e last night and today morning and it was not watery as usual but slightly rubbery in texture. i took her to the local pediatrician and he advised liver function tests- sgot,sgpt,alkaline phosphatase, total bilirubin, direct bilirubin all of these turned out normal.. is there anything for me to worry about.. baby is 3 months completed, with history of colic and bacillary dysentry(for which antibiotics and anti heaemorrhidal cream was given). at present she does not have temperature, no vomitting, and feeds poperly and weighs 6.2kgs..

Hi, raziya,

Consistent white stools may be, rarely, a sign of liver dysfunction, although this is not something seen if the stools have any pigment at all.  I wouldn't worry about anything if your baby is growing well and is healthy.  Stools can change color unexpectedly and if the baby is fine, don't worry.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.