Pediatrics/Regarding PENTAXIM and OPV

Question
Hi doctor, my daughter is now 3 and half months old. At Birth, she was given ENGERIX B. Along with that OPV was given. Later on 6 weeks period, PENTAXIM and EngerixB was given. No OPV was given at that time. At 10 weeks, she was given PENTAXIM only. On Jan 31, 2012, we went for her 14th week vaccination. At that time, she was given PENTAXIM, OPV and ROTARIX (1ST DOSE).When i searched through web, it is said that PENTAXIM contains IPV. So is there any problem giving OPV along with PENTAXIM. The first and second time when she was given PENTAXIM, no OPV was given. Also we are planning to go to US. So doctor said that vaccination for Rotavirus and PCV should be taken. One dose of Rotavirus vaccine has been given. When is the next dose to be given. Also doctor said that we can take the PCV vaccine after reaching US. So what is the last time period to take this PCV vaccination ? is it possible to take the third dose of Rotavirus vaccine from US ?

Answer
Hi Surya,

There is no problem if OPV is given along with IPV. This was the standard practice to give OPV along with IPV till early this year. However, as per latest Indian recommendations released in July 2012, now IPV is given alone at 6, 10 and 14 weeks followed by OPV at 6 and 9 months of age.

You can see the latest Indian immunization schedule, as recommended by IAP (and accredited by WHO) at: http://iapcoi.com/hp/pdf/IAP%20Immunization%20Timetable%202012.pdf

However, the immunization schedule varies from country to country depending on epidemilogical and other factors. For example, OPV is not used at all in US (as they eradicated polio decades back, unlike in India where we are nearing eradication presently).

In general, one should follow the immunization schedule of the country where the child normally resides. Hence, if you are going to US for short visit and would come back, I would recommend that your baby should be given OPV at 6 and 9 months of age. If you are emigrating to US, then OPV need not be given from now on.

Regarding PCV, 3 doses are recommended at one month interval followed by a booster at 12-15 months. In India, 2 brands are available: Prevenar 13 and Synflorix. However, in US, only Prevenar 13 is available. Since the brands are not interchangeable, I would recommend that you should go for Prevenar 13 only as the schedule can be completed in US safely.

For ROTARIX, only 2 doses are recommeded at one month interval, globally. Third dose is not required/ recommended (3rd dose would have been required if other brand ROTATEQ has been used in place of ROTARIX)

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India.

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar