Pediatrics/Regarding stool color of my 2 months old child

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

My 2 months old baby is passing greenish color (like algae)stools from approximately 2 weeks.  I am giving him formula milk as well as mother feed.  consistency is thick and at times a combination of pasty and seeded.  frequency is once or twice a day.  is it abnormal to pass green color stools continuously for 2 weeks.

I got the stool examination done and it revealed

color slightest greenish yellow
form and consistency semi digested
reaction acidic
pus cells 0-3
rbc etc nil

please suggest if any treatment is required.

thanks
Monica

ANSWER: Hi Monica,

No treatment is required, if the baby is otherwise looking healthy, feeding well and is active.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India.

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: Hi,

Thanks for answering sir.  My baby is otherwise healthy but I am bit worried about the green color stool that my 2 months old child is passing since 2 weeks when he was vaccinated for rotavirus, DPT, and IPV.  So is this green color somewhere related to vaccination?  If not, is the passing of green stool in 2 months old child continuously for 2 weeks is normal?Please advise.

Should I try changing the brand of formula milk and switch to other one if that would help, please suggest?

Thanks & regards
Monica

Answer
Hi Monica,

This is NORMAL stool with no relation to vaccination/ formula, etc.

It is rather sad to know that a two month old baby is on formula, rather than breastfeeding...something that is best for a baby!

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India.

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar