Pediatrics/Regarding vaccination for 45 days old boy

Hi Puneet kemar,

This is Hari from Chennai.After i red your answeres for different questions on vaccination and according to chart which was given by hospital(Fernandez)from where my wife delivered, i have a doubt on optional vaccine.In the chart under optional Cata they specified PCV and Rotarix and from one of my friend hospital i got another names in optionla cata that PREVNAR and ROTARIX.From the above both charts what i have to choose form optional cata and how much it would be around and is there any problems if iam not going for any  one due to financial problems.

Even my friend also preferred PENTAXIM and along with it he told HEB 2 as it will not come with PENTAXIM.
One more impartent thing is OPV and IPV both are same and we can take any one.generally which one would be good from government vaccine and PENTAXIM.

Please suggest me as soon as possible since my son will become 45 days old after 18 of Jan.

Hi Hari,

There have been some changes in the immunization schedule in last few years according to the research in the field all over the world. One should ideally follow the recommendations of Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP), as they are timely updated. You can find the latest immunization schedule (last updated July 2012) at:

You will notice that both PCV and Rotavirus vaccines are in "regular" schedule now and are not "optional". Further, now only IPV is recommended at 6, 10 and 14 weeks followed by OPV at 6 and 9 months and IPV booster at 16-18 months and OPV booster at 5 years of age.

In PCV, now we have 2 brands: Prevenar 13 and Synflorix. Synflorix is a little less effective than Prevenar 13, but costs almost half. YOu can consider Synflorix also in place of Prevenar, if there are financial constraints.

PENTAXIM has DTaP, Hib and IPV. However, if that is taken, HepB 2 is to be taken separately (if not taken at one month of age). You can also consider other brands that contain DTwP, HIb and HepB, that is equally effective but much cheaper (However, it is more likely to cause pain/fever than DTaP containing vaccine...and in this case IPV needs to be taken separately, as IPV doesn't come in combination with DTwP and Hib)

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.