Pediatrics/stomach virus

my child was given something to stop vomiting from virus, also antibiotic for ear infection. He went back to school after 4 days, was there one day had swimming and has virus all over again, given same pill to take 3 times a day to stop vomiting but it isnt really helping. Dont know what to do.

Hi, lisa,

This sounds like a second virus illness, pretty common this time of year.  One gets over one thing and then gets another.  The antibiotic for the ear infection won't help prevent another virus illness.  The med for vomiting sometimes helps, but often doesn't.  Just make sure fluids are getting in and she doesn't get dehydrated.  If need be, call your doctor and see what he/she has to say.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.