Pediatrics/Testicle problem

I am a 15 year old male and have been having on and off sharp pains in my left testicle for about a week. I don't have the pains all the time, but I am worried. Is it OK for me to ask my dad to check it to see if he can find anything wrong before I have the doctor look at it? What could cause this?

Hi, Robert,

If you had a car that was malfunctioning and your Dad was a mechanic and you took it to him, that would be OK.  Is your father a physician?  If not, why have a non-medical person check things if they are not an expert?  Testicle pain can range from cancer to mild injury.  See your doctor.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.