Pediatrics/Vaccination in India for a US born infant

My daughter was born in US and received Pediarix, PedvaxHIB, Prevnar 13, Rotarix at 2 months age. Now she is in India and will need all these vaccines at 4 months age. Which of these vaccines are available in India? If any of these are not available, what are the alternative vaccines she can take in place of the ones not available in India?

Hi Ashish,

Prevenar 13 and Rotarix are available in India, while other 2 brands are not available.

Pediarix is a brand of vaccine containing DTaP, IPV and Hep B vaccines, while PedavaxHIB is a Hib conjugate vaccine. In India, we have combination of DTaP, IPV and Hib conjugate (Brand Name: Pentaxim) and Hep B vaccine is available separately (Many brand names are available; you can go for Engerix B, brand of GSK: same manufacturer as that of Pediarix).

Another point: Vaccination schedules vary from country to country depending upon various epidemiological and other factors. In general, one should follow the schedule where the child normally resides. Thus, if you are just visiting India for sometime, continue with US schedule. If, however, your daughter would now be living in India, Indian schedule should be followed. Specifically, she should also receive BCG vaccine (not used in US) as son as possible, OPV (oral Polio vaccine: not used in US) in addition to IPV at 6 and 9 months, Measles vaccine at 9 months of age (US uses only MMR vaccine at 15 months of age) and Typhoid vaccine at 2 years of age (not used in US). Vaccine against influenza ("flu shots") are recommended in US routinely, but recommended in India only in high risk children. All other vaccines (DTaP, IPV, HepB, Hib, Hep A, Varicella, MMR) have almost the same schedule in US and India.

You can see the current Indian schedule, as recommended by Indian Academy of Pediatrics at:

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.