Pediatrics/Whelps from fever

Hello, Im studing to become an EMT and my girlfriend has developed whelps all over her body and she has a fever. What causes the whelps to appear? She also has a sore throat and harsh cough. she has never had whelps before when she has been sick so it brought concern to me and her. Thank you for your time.

Hi, Andy,

Kindly consider using the correct medical terminology.  Whelps are puppies, welts are considered hives or urticaria.  Whelps is a term that shouldn't be used in this context.

Anyway, hives can occur due to viral or bacterial illnesses, especially with a sore throat caused by strep.  If the sore throat continues, then she should be seen and have a strep screen done.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.