Pediatrics/7mth old baby coughing

Hi, my 7 mh old baby started with a cough 3 weeks ago, then came the runny nose,then the vomiting in between seems to be getting worse the coughing is lasting 3 minutes approx each time more during the night. discolored mucus from nose now.the vomit is like a thick mucus (not vomiting everytime he coughs). he is off his food and today had a high fever and was very drowsy all day. he has gone to bed at 6.30 with only 2oz in him.i gave him calprofen and it took his temp down.i have been hospital 2 weeks ago due to the sickness as it scared me and they put it all down to teething but i don't think thats right as he has been teething for 5 mths nearly.his chest was clear in the hospital also. he keeps pulling on his hair too.he had similar symptoms when he was 2 weeks old which lasted 3 weeks but this time it seems worse. any advise would be very much appreciated.

Cough can sometimes take time to subside. If his temperature is normal, is feeding well and active you need not worry. It may be necessary to check his blood if cough persists. I hope he is fully immunized for his age. Please keep watch on  his weight. If he is gaining weight steadily he is unlikely to behaving any serious problem. God bless your child.  

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and