Pediatrics/Feeding 12 moth old

My son turned 12 months two weeks ago.  He is not very interested in solid food and prefers drinking milk from a bottle to any other food (he has been drinking goats milk since he was 6 months old- receives iron supplement as well). We give him breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, but he only nibbles and plays with the food, at most he will chew it and spit it back up.  He no longer likes to be spoon-fed with the exception of daily cup of yogurt. I understand that now is the time to make the transition from milk to solids and would appreciate any advice on how to effectively help him eat more solid food.  He also still requires his milk throughout the night - on average 3 bottles a night.  He has always drank only a small amount of milk at a time (about 4 oz), but frequently throughout the day and night.  Thank you for your help.

If his weight gain is normal, he is active and does not have any symptoms you need not worry. Every child is unique. He may take a little longer to chew solid food. If he does not have any teeth he may need calcium supplements. Avoid food forcing.

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and